Special issue of the journal Axon: Creative Explorations www.axonjournal.com.au
This special issue of the Axon journal is connected to a one-day symposium to be held in Canberra on 21st October 2019 during the Poetry on the Move Festival (17-21 October 2019), organised and hosted by the International Poetry Studies Institute (IPSI) in the Faculty of Arts and Design at the University of Canberra.
This issue aims to explore ways in which contemporary poetry uses or harnesses knowledge of various kinds and how poetry understands the world. For example, how does poetry make use of, interact with or transform existing bodies of knowledge? And how is poetry itself a form of knowing? If poetry may be said to produce knowledge, what kind of knowledge is this?
We are particularly interested in papers that relate to:
- Poetry’s relationship to various conceptions of truth (social, political, abstract, aesthetic)
- Embodied knowledges
- Cultural knowledge
- The play of convention and subversion
- Poetry’s use of and intersection with knowledge from other intellectual domains (e.g. science, mathematics, philosophy, economics, etc.)
- Poetry’s incorporation of knowledge about the environment, climate and landscape
- Poetic modes of thinking and cognition
- Poetry and the thought-feeling nexus
- Ways in which poetry explores knowledge
- Heuristic knowledge and trial-and-error
- Ways in which poetry produces knowledge
- Poetic revision as a pathway to knowledge
- How poetic expression relates to the production of knowledge
- Poetry and the ephemeral
What we would like from contributors:
- A 150-word abstract of your proposed paper by 30 April 2018
- If your abstract is accepted (we will notify you by 20 May 2018), a full written paper of between 3,000 and 6,000 words by 15 November 2018.
The editors of this issue of Axon: Creative Explorations journal are Professor Paul Hetherington, Professor Jen Webb and Shane Strange.
All abstracts, papers and related correspondence should be addressed to Shane Strange at Shane.Strange@canberra.edu.au