TEXT: Journal Of Writing And Writing Courses
In 1996 members of the AAWP established the online journal, TEXT, an independent refereed journal which publishes a wide range of research, reviews and debates on creative and professional writing and the teaching of writing in academic and industry contexts.
TEXT is published by the AAWP. In 2008 there were 1100 subscribers to TEXT, approximately 300 of them accessing the journal from Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Asia, and 800 in North America.
Meniscus is an online, free access literary journal. It is named for the curve that forms at the top surface of a container of liquid. The curve is caused by surface tension, which not only holds the fluid in, but also allows the passage of objects through the surface. It creates uncertainty for anyone attempting a precise measurement because of the parallax effect. The combination of tension, openness and uncertainty can be read as an analogy for creative writing.
Meniscus publishes high quality, innovative poetry, short fiction, and creative essays in English, or in other languages with a good parallel translation. The editors welcome submissions from writers anywhere in the world.
• 15 March (for consideration for the August issue)
• 15 September (for consideration for the February issue)
All submissions will be blind refereed, and authors advised of the outcome, within 10 weeks of submission.
Submissions by email only; please send as Word attachments, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send portfolios of up to 5 poems, or max 2 prose pieces of up to 3000 words
c i n d e r
c i n d e r is a creative writing research journal affiliated with the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP).
You can find the first issue of c i n d e r, as well as details for how to submit to the journal here.
An investigation into books produced by students and graduates of writing programs in Australia. Prepared by Shane Strange and Jen Webb, 2010 View the list.
Accounting for Creative Writing: Preliminary report of the Accounting for Creative Writing student survey (May 2008). Prepared by Scott Brook, University of Melbourne. View the report.
Examining Doctorates in the Creative Arts: A Guide. Prepared by Jen Webb, Donna Lee Brien and Sandra Burr (2012). View the booklet
Examination of Doctoral Degrees in Creative Arts: Process, Practice and Standards (final report). Prepared by Jen Webb, Donna Lee Brien and Sandra Burr (2013)
Books On Writing: Special Offers For AAWP Members
The AAWP has a relationship with The Professional and Higher Partnership, a new(ish) UK-based publisher of books on writing, writing research, and the teaching of writing. Their current flyer is attached here.
Price for AAWP members: $AUD29.75 for a paperback, and $AUD45 for a casebound copy.
Members living in Australia also get the benefit of free p&p (not available for NZ-based members, unfortunately, due to lack of a local distributor).
Please contact Jen Webb (email@example.com) for details.
Each year one university in the AAWP network hosts the annual conference, and organises the proceedings. A number of papers presented at each conference have been submitted to a double blind referee process, and subsequently edited, organised and published on this site.
- 2007 The and is Papers: refereed proceedings of the 12th conference of the AAWP
- 2008The Creativity and Uncertainty Papers: the refereed proceedings of the 13th conference of the Australian Association of Writing Programs
- 2009 The Margins and Mainstreams Papers: the refereed proceedings of the 14th conference of the Australian Association of Writing Programs
- 2010 The Strange Bedfellows or Perfect Partners Papers: the refereed proceedings of the 15th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs
- 2011The Ethical Imaginations: Writing Worlds Papers – the refereed proceedings of the 16th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs
- 2012The Encounters: Place, Situation, Context Papers – the refereed proceedings of the 17th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs
- 2013The Creative Manoeuvres: Making, Saying, Being papers – the refereed proceedings of the 18th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs
- 2014 The Minding the Gap: Writing Across Thresholds and Fault Lines – the refereed proceedings of the 19th conference of the Australasian Association of Writing Programs