A creative writing/literature PhD position is now open for application at Curtin University for an innovative collaborative PhD program with the University of Aberdeen commencing early 2018.
The PhD candidate will be enrolled at both Curtin University and University of Aberdeen and will, on completion, receive a joint award. The first and third years will be spent based at Curtin (Bentley campus, Western Australia) with the second year based in Aberdeen, Scotland. The candidate will receive world-class supervision from staff at both universities. The position will be fee-waived (ie no fees payable) and with an APA scholarship for three years.
High calibre honours or Masters students or graduates are invited to contact Dr Rachel Robertson, Senior Lecturer at Curtin University on R.Robertson@curtin.edu.au or 08 9266 2615 to discuss this opportunity.
The proposed project, which is open to negotiation, is around travel writing.
Travel Writing Project
This project explores the literature of travel and travel writing through a literary and/or creative practice lens. Projects could include:
- Writing a travel narrative (creative non-fiction)
- Analysis of travel writing
- Examination of tropes of travel in fiction, non-fiction or poetry
- Comparison of Australian and Scottish literatures of travel
- Historical travel writing
- Newer forms of travel writing (eg blogging, multi-media or experimental writing about travel)
- Contested issues in travel writing (eg the role of the tourist, new environmental perspectives, post-colonial perspectives)
- Other aspects of creative writing and travel.
Curtin University contact person: Rachel Robertson (R.Robertson@curtin.edu.au).